Error Code when attempting to upgrade firmware

Error I'm getting using Arduino to attempt to upgrade Marlin firmware

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 147670 bytes (58%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 5133 bytes (62%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3059 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

i unplugged the LCD panel like instructed.. Would this be effecting the upload? Thanks for any help you can provide..

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,585Administrator
    Hi @mackpeed - the LCD must be unplugged before flashing as it can corrupt the upload. If the bootloader is corrupted then you cannot flash over USB any more. If you unplugged it before flashing, then there should be no problem there.

Try to plug the LCD in again, does the printer still seem to work fine? If it works fine, then there is no bootloader corruption.

If the printer does not work, then the bootloader will need to be reflashed, before you can retry to flash the firmware.  Please see this thread for that process: https://jgauroraforum.com/discussion/comment/1787#Comment_1787

• mackpeedmackpeed Posts: 9Member
    The LCD cable and the power cord were both unplugged when I attempted to do this.  Powered the printer up again the X,Y,Z axis motors will move, but the heaters on both the bed and extruder will not heat up.
    Ok, Great! So it sounds like there was a connection problem, and not a failed flash. If the axis are moving, then the bootloader is still ok.
    Next ... are the temperature readings showing up ok?
    Try restarting the computer before you try to flash the firmware again.
    Temp settings for the extruder is -15C
    P.S I've just moved this thread into the A5 modifications section.
    A temperature reading of -15C indicates a broken connection to the extruder.
    Please see the wiki for detailed guides of how to proceed from here:

Based in the ohm reading off of the hot end themerister it is bad.  Have ordered new therminsters.