JGMaker Magic on Sale for $208, with $20 instant discount coupon!.
[Project] Upgrading the A5 to Direct Drive + full metal hotend + auto bed leveling for under 60$
since I like tinkering and upgrading at least as much as printing, I am trying to upgrade ( and therefore hopefully improve) my A5.
BEWARE: Its my first printer, I have it for 2 weeks, I have no electronics phd and english is not my native language, so do expect mistakes! (and please point them out before I short circuit my brain or something^^)
What needs improvement?
- the hotend should at least reach 270 C to print all nylons
- the part cooling needs to be more effective
- the long bowden tube makes filament feeding imprecise and needs to go
- Community Firmware (1.1.8C) on LCD and MKS Gen L
Stuff to print:
See post 2.
Stuff to buy mandatory :
BIQU Titan + hotend (30$) (for testing or saving money) (I do not reccomend the BIQU, I now use another that makes feeding the filament easier, yet it has no name^^)
or a real E3D Titan + hotend for quality
3D-Touch bed leveling probe (20$)
or a real BL-Touch for quality
a 24V 40mm fan for coldend cooling
a 24V 40mm fan for part cooling
or a 12V 40mm fan + 12V DC power supply + PWM compatible MosFet if you want to use 12V fans
short and many long M3 screws and nuts
or short M3 screws, less long M3 screws and nuts and standoffs
(this is what else I modified, not required to get the rest to run)
TMC2130 stepper drivers for instructions watch Da Hai 's Video in the wiki
3mm thick elastomer tape with more then 100 C temperature stability for insulating the heatbed (i bought mine in as insulation for heating pipes)
Cotton and Kapton Tape to insulate the heating block
18mm m3 nylon spacers to replace the bed springs, you can buy 16mm for 2mm more Z buildspace if you for some reason reject heat bed insulation
The touch mount is for a different hotend but I cut/grinded some stuff away drilled a new hole and now it fits.
The original scorpion cooler and mount parts from thingiverse did not fit neither to each other nor to the titan mount, they where also not the same parts the pictures showed so I tossed them in the failed prints bin and generated some primitive mounting plate in Fusion 360. I attached "the thing" as Fan Holder v2.stl^^
To do (Hardware):
- wait for delivery of silicone sock/pwm MOS FET/TMC 2130 stepper drivers
- implement a "reverse bowden" to prevent the turning spool from pulling up my extruder setup
To do software:
- enable unified bed leveling
- enable tmc 2130 config (still using physical endstop switches for x/y and the bl probe for z)
- update bed size and position values in marlin
Questions and things I am not sure of:
- marlin knows the relative position of the bed leveling probe to the nozzle and the relative position of the bed to 0/0 (which actually will be -X/0) so it should calculate proper probing points, but how do I make sure the nozzle does not hit the metal clamps securing my bed?
- I am still unsure if the 24V/12V fan solution I divised will work.
- I hope it will properly move the probe to the middle of the bed when homing, because under XMIN and YMIN there is no bed and the probe cannot send an endstop signal (maybe install the probe parrallel to the z min switch to prevent self destruction?)
- My pancake extruder motor is probably made for 12 V, will it run to hot on 24V?
- If so can I simply move 2 pins on my TCMs to the top and connect a 12V power supply?
- will my dirt cheap chinese clones produce any print quality at all?
Finaly a picture of my progress: