JGAURORA JGMaker Magic Promotion

NEW Budget 3D Printer: JGMaker Magic
The best deal at the moment is from Gearbest, who are running a flash sale for just $179!
Amazon USA also is offering an $30 instant discount coupon on the JGAurora Magic - a great option for those who want it even faster!

JGAURORA A5S Deals

[6th Jun 19] The LATEST JGAurora A5S is already for sale under $400 - use coupon GBA5S11 for a further $15 off!
Print quality is better than A5 out of the box, and it only takes 10 minutes to assemble.
Click here to check out this deal!

Basic Print Settings

Hey Everyone

I was hoping somebody would be willing to provide a basic set of print settings for ABS and PLA. I have been trying to calibrate my settings for Amazon Basics ABS, and Amazon Basics Premium PLA but I am having one heck of a time. I currently have simplify 3d, cura, and JG Aurora Create, but i can not manage to get a success print at all. I would really appreciate some assistance.

For some background information:
My bed level is very precise
I had slight offset between my two vertical rods which is now fixed
I have tightened my x axis belt to eliminate excess slack
I have printed many calibration cubes and temperature towers, but I am unable to hone in the right setting

I keep getting an odd wrinkled texture on my prints as well, which is really stumping me as well.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 1,884Administrator
    edited April 21

I'm 99% sure you have the wrong filament diameter selected, causing the massive underextrusion. It needs to be 1.75mm not 2.85mm. Try download the latest version of Cura 4.0, and there should be a profile in there for the A5S to get you started.

Thanked by 1ThingsNSchtuff
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • ThingsNSchtuffThingsNSchtuff Posts: 19Member
    edited April 21
    @Samuel Pinches

I have already confirmed that. I typically have been staying away from cura, but in both of the JG Aurora Create and Simplify 3d software I do in fact have the filament size set for 1.75mm. Below are my settings that im using in simplify 3d, maybe someone can pinpoint what im missing. For Both softwares, I am using the basic A5 profile with the exception of the temperature, which i adjusted for the PLA manufacturer recommendations. 

Below is an example of the gcode as it is being spit out. 

Post edited by ThingsNSchtuff on
    edited April 22
    Ok, the only problems I can see are on the first screenshot. The nozzle diameter is set to 0.4mm. This is not correct. The nozzle on the A5 behaves almost like a 0.45mm nozzle, so I would suggest setting that to 0.4mm and auto, or manually setting it to 0.45mm. If you look up "die swell" there is more information on why even if the hole is 0.4mm, the effective diameter is larger. If you have accidentally scraped the nozzle on the bed, this can also cause the hole to be enlarged further.
    Then, the extrusion multiplier is set to 0.9, this should be set to 1.
    Please try those suggestions, and see how that affects the print. I would also suggest examining the extruder motor during printing - is it clicking or slipping?
    Finally, if you have installed the community firmware, you can do a settings refresh by sending the gcode commands M502 followed by M500.
    I will give this a shot. I have the most recent firmware, but not the community firmware. from time to time i do hear clicking coming from the extruder motor, usually at that point i back the filament out, clean the gear, and blow out the feeder tube. More to come!
    edited April 24
    If the extruder is grinding, then there must be friction or restriction somewhere. Adding a drop of canola oil into the bowden tube can help a little to lubricate things. You can also cut the length of the bowden tube too, from factory it is excessively long. It needs to move smoothly without kinking, but the longer it is the more friction there is for the motor to overcome.
    Your suggestion did seem to help quite a bit. I think now i need dial in the temperature unless you have any further suggestions?to 
    @Samuel Pinches

Will canola oil interfere with different materials? For example is a different oil better for ABS? I have not personally tried it, but i have seen this suggestion in other parts of the interwebs. Some people seem to be really against it.

Just curious
    Different filaments will always behave differently. Canola oil should be pretty safe for everything though. I'm not saying dunk the whole thing in the deep fryer, a little goes a long way. It's just a bit of a hack to incrementally reduce the friction. You always are best to wipe the bed down with IPA when changing filaments, that would be my tip.
    Well i really appreciate the advice thus far. I have shortened the tube and am running some test prints now, and will probably end up putting a small amount of lubrication in the tube as well. I am also thinking that a small factor may be the size of my filament spool. I am considering using bearings to reduce friction as the spool unwinds, have you seen or heard of this previously and/or if it has been successful in the past?
    If you have a look on thingiverse, there are a range of different external spool holders you might like to try, some of them using bearings.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to print from those photos, so I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like. Feel free to upload a screenshot of the STL.
    So it turns out my nozzle was actually a bit damaged on the tip as well so i replaced that and it seems to help so far. The part i was trying to print was a heat tower. I am trying to find the right temperature ranges to use when printing with the amazon basics PLA and ABS i bought. I will definately be looking into some of those other spool holders as well. Thank you

Just a quick update. I got a set to print out fairly well with ABS. Let me know if you see anything that may need adjusted. So far I feel pretty happy with the results and I really appreciate your help. These were printed at 5 degree increments at .2 mm layer height with the new nozzle that is actually .4mm. The nozzle diameter was set to .4 with the auto extrusion width setting and an extrusion multiplier of 1.

Looks great, nice work :smiley: